Fire caused up to $1 million in damage, assistance needed for families | News
MATTHEWS, NC (WBTV)- The apartment fire that lit up the sky in Matthews Friday night caused
between $800,000 and $1 million in damage. That's the latest from the
Mecklenburg County Fire Marshal's Office Tuesday morning.
23 families are now homeless and officials say 11 people lost everything.
Medic rushed two people to the hospital, one of them with very serious
Investigators say the flames started with an unattended pot on the stove in
a kitchen on the first floor of a building of the Chambers Ridge Apartments in
Firefighters in Matthews got the call at about 8:30 Friday night.
They reported heavy smoke and fire upon arrival, and immediately called a
second alarm. Witnesses watched as at least two people jumped from several
stories up to escape the flames.
Shortly after, a third alarm was called. Members of the Union and
Mecklenburg Fire Departments were called in to help fight the flames.
Firefighters called a control time shortly after 10 p.m.
The Red Cross is helping those families who lost their homes. They are
helping with temporary shelter, food, clothing and other immediate needs. Volunteers
also provided drinks and snacks for first responders at the scene.
A temporary shelter was set up for the families at Butler High School on
Matthews-Mint Hill Road.
But now it's time for those families to rebuild. The numbers bear repeating –
23 homeless. 11 lost everything. Of those 11, seven are men and four are
females. They range in age from their late teens to early 50s.
Officials say they need personal care items, pillows, blankets, bedding, and
If you have specific donations or services that you would like to provide
for the families, contact Jennifer Laney, Property Manager for Berkshires of
Matthews at 704-847-5156, or Corporal L. Valdes at 704-845-1651.
You can also drop off donations at the Matthews Police Department.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Matthews - Mint Hill Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Union Co School leaders using the law to get more money
- Sheriff: Elderly woman's body found inside home after fire
- Snake in power equipment causes outage to thousands in Union Co.
- Monroe one of Top 10 "No-Brainer locations for manufacturing in the South
- Woman attacked by pitbull, fends it off with a stick